Welcome!

Hi there! The Sonny Skye is a blog fully inspired by living life in a new generation of rainbow children!
This blog is about one momma learning how to live a more insightful and loving life!

Amazon Prime.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Confession: I'm fat, and I'm not sad about it.

I know, it's not really a confession. What I am confessing is that I am fat, and I'm not sad about it. Fat isn't an insult. It is  It is an accurate description. Do I feel ugly? No. Do I think I'm unworthy of things because of my size? No. But that hasn't always been the case. 

Recently, body positivity has been a hot topic. Oh how I wish it had happened 6-10 years ago when I was struggling with body image in high school! We need to keep it up, keep promoting body positivity! Stop telling women what they can and can't wear! Stop telling what colors, sizes, patterns, designs, lengths, or brands to wear! Now that I've accepted who I am, I've been able to see that all women are beautiful. I love seeing women comfortable in their own skin. I don't believe that there are shorts too short for certain sizes. I don't believe that crop tops are for skinny girls only. It's  hot as hell- wear what keeps you comfortable and cool! Confidence is beautiful. Kindness is beautiful. Being judgemental or vain is NOT beautiful. Being HATEFUL IS NOT BEAUTIFUL.

Here's a little information about my fat-ness.


I've been fat since high school.

I am definitely bigger now than I've ever been but I have to admit- I've never been more comfortable with who I am, until now.

When I was 100 lbs lighter I was still considered over weight but I was also bitter and jealous. Not only did I hate that my body wasn't like the smaller girls, I also hated the smaller girls for not being fat. I was ashamed of myself. I wore sweaters in the summer (which, if you're from Fresno, you know is suicidal) and I hid behind over sized clothes. Little did I know, 6 years later I'd give ANYTHING to be a size 14 again. I had been taught that my body was ugly and that I must be doing something wrong because I was big. That self hatred turned outwards and I started to hate anyone I thought was better looking- and by better looking, I mean thin.

What I didn't know was that at a size 14, I was physically healthy and mentally unhealthy. I was so obsessed with being "ugly" I didn't realize that I was actually in shape. At the time I was in three dance classes, in color guard, and an active mosh pit participant every weekend. I could run up stairs, I could dance for hours, I could fight, I could circle pit, I never felt that I was physically limited. However, I limited myself by being afraid of my size.

Now I'm a size 24 and I'm actually finding difficulties in doing the things I used to do. I'm unhealthy because I've been slacking. Why? Because in 2007 I was diagnosed with PCOS. Despite all the running and dancing I did, I was gaining what seemed like a pound a day. My mom became worried by senior year of high school, where the doctor diagnosed me with poly cystic ovarian syndrome. Since then I've been told, without the help of medication, it would be difficult for me to lose weight.



Because of this,  I gave up trying to be healthy for a while. I figured,  if I can't lose weight why would I kill myself trying? I finally realized that even though I wasn't going to be able to LOSE weight, I had to keep an effort to be HEALTHY and that size did not determine whether I was healthy or beautiful. 

This realization has also helped me become mentally healthy! I'm no longer envious of anyone else's body and I'm no longer hiding myself! If I want to swim, I am going to swim dammit! And no, I won't wear board shorts and a shirt because that shit is not comfortable to swim in!




I'm so proud that I can say - in a totally non sexual way- when a woman is effing gorgeous. I support women in all shapes sizes and colors. I support wearing a size 18 bikini or a size 20 crop top the same way I support a size 0 monokini and a size 4 crop top. I support your face full of amazing make up or your face with not a drop of moisturizer. I support your beautiful natural hair and your extensions! I love all of it! Women are strong, resilient, beautiful, & powerful! Why would I judge a women because her short shorts showed cellulite? Why would I be envious of the girl with ABS? They're both capable of being a valuable part of society and they're both beautiful!

Body positivity is more than being happy with the skin you're in. It's women being kind to one another. Not just fat women, but all women. It's  about loving yourself so you can appreciate what other women have to offer you.

Love yourself, so you can love others. Isn't that some cliché quote?

My favorite quote is about all of this is:
"One woman's beauty is not the lack of your own."
Ain't that the truth.
Love you ladies! You're all gorgeous!



Oh p.s. #effyourbeautystandards


30 comments:

  1. Great post! Society puts a ridiculous amount of pressure on women to look a certain way, and that's honestly not healthy for many women. It's good that you can be happy with who you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, yes, society makes it near impossible for young girls to be happy with their bodies. Fat, skinny, tall, & short, you're never going to look like Hollywood! Lol thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. love the quotes you used. As a mom of three girls I always try and catch myself critiquing my body. I want them to have a positive image of themselves, and it starts with me being a great example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a huge part of me accepting my body was because it was a necessity. Having a little girl made me realize it's detrimental to a young girl!

      Delete
  3. Society has pushed an image to our girls that you have to look a certain way to be accepted. Thats a lie that people continue to feed into and its sad. Even when I was bigger, I never felt ashame of myself, I changed because I wanted to. Only change your body if YOU want to, not because someone else said so.

    Great post and a must read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I am eating clean and being much more active, and I may not even lose weight due to my pcos, but I need to keep a healthy heart!

      Delete
  4. Love this! Women definitely need to be more supportive and less judgmental of each other, and I think that starts with learning to love and accept yourself. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and no one should try and change just to be like others. Being confident in your own skin is a wonderful thing to teach our daughters and the best way to do that is by example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women need to support each other, because we know how powerful we are!

      Delete
  5. Very nice post! It's hard to fight against the ridiculous standards we, as society, as what a perfect body should look like. I've always been big, especially around my family who all weigh less than 130 pounds. Its one thing that I try to teach my daughter, love the body/skin your in, you're stuck with it no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your ideals, but I don't think this works for me in practice, at least since I reached the point where I was overweight enough to be injuring myself. Definitely agree on the non-judging though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that you have to do what is healthy for your mind and body. I'm not saying just let yourself go and eat junk food and lay on the couch, what I'm saying is weight isn't always the determination of health. Sometimes there are circumstances that are out if our control. But either way, it's no ones job to judge and we should all be comfortable with who we are. Unless we are physically uncomfortable, which I do get at ttimes, which is why I want to get healthier!

      Delete
  7. I like this topic. Body shaming in general is a topic that needs to be addressed more- the idea that a woman is somehow not allowed to feel good about her body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Like, why do people care so much about somebody else's body?!

      Delete
  8. Good for you! It's wonderful that you can be happy with who you are. It's not easy in a world where each successful actress, model or TV personality is a perfect shape, size and build. I guess it's important to stop comparing and just enjoy this wild ride called life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Enjoy it! Now, if I feel uncomfortable due to weight gain, of course I work at it to make myself feel better so I CAN enjoy it, but I'm not concerned about how I look!

      Delete
  9. Way to go! There's no such thing as the ideal body, and I don't know why (especially the media) is so fixated on this, but we should aspire to have HEALTHY bodies which is the most important thing. Healthy bodies mean a healthy mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I agree with "Healthy bodies means a healthy mind!" :)

      Delete
  10. Great post! My daughter is a size 22 and she is gorgeous and a very confident young woman. Now sometimes I don't like the clothes she wears but I wouldn't like them even if she was a size 0!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your attitude. There is so much truth in this post! I have never been comfortable with my body, but I am learning to focus on being healthy. I will never be skinny or even thin, but I can always be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! You don't have to be thin to be healthy. I had that so warped when I was younger.

      Delete
  12. I agree with you. If you're healthy and confident, who cares?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like the old saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." God loves each one of us unconditionally. Knowing this makes me confident in the midst of criticism. Sounds like you are confident. That's healthy and your daughter will learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to teach my daughter body positivity because I feel like I missed something in that department growing up!

      Delete
  14. It seems that no matter your size women have difficulty being happy with themselves. Society sucks at this and is so full of conflicting messages.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this post. We need to love ourselves for who we are. I love swimming and i am not going to let my weight stop me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post. We need to love ourselves for who we are. I love swimming and i am not going to let my weight stop me.

    ReplyDelete