Welcome!

Hi there! The Sonny Skye is a blog fully inspired by living life in a new generation of rainbow children!
This blog is about one momma learning how to live a more insightful and loving life!

Amazon Prime.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

DIY No Sew Easy Tutu

Autumn's birthday is next month and she has chosen the theme to be.... *drum roll please*....

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

*sigh*


What's a mom to do? 


I never liked Power Rangers, not now and not then. To make matter worst she doesn't just want any Power Rangers, she only wants Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. You know, the series from the 80's! This is when I would enable the hashtag #iblameterrance. Nevertheless, her theme will be Power Rangers. Since it is so hot in the summer, there is no way I will be buying her a Pink Ranger costume that will surely cause a heat stroke. So instead, I made a pink tutu, and I will be printing an iron of the Pink Ranger's symbol for a pink tank top. I've had to start early because I'm also making costume shirts for her cousin and a tutu and shirt for her aunt. 

Here's how I did it with no sewing!



Two Yards of Tulle 
1 Large Safety Pin
One package of  waistband elastic
Scissors
*(Autumn is a size 3t and two yards was enough)*

I bought the tulle and elastic at Wal-Mart. The Tulle cost me 1.97 and the elastic was 98 cents. So For less than $3.00 I had everything I needed. 


Cut the tool into strips. I'll be honest, I didn't measure it. Approx 2 inches wide and 12 inches long. 12 inches may be a little short if you want a longer tutu, but I like the kind that stick straight out. Once it's on the tutu it is about 6 inches long from the waistband. The strips don't have to be cut perfectly because when it's all tied together it blends together well.  


Measure your child's waist and us a safety pin to flat pin the two loose ends together. The pin will be wrapped in tulle by the end, however if you feel more comfortable, placing a small dropp of super glue by the close of the pin and allowing it to dry prior to wrapping the tulle on it will keep it more secure. 




Take the tulle, fold it in half, place the loop you've just made under the elastic band and then pull the loose ends through the loop. 



It'll look like a little knot at the bottom.



Repeat step three.



Repeat step three over and over...



You've made a simple tutu!!!


I love doing it this way because it's so quick, it's so easy, and honestly, she's going to wear it for about twenty minutes before she's in a bathing suit and on the water slide. 


I can't show her yet or she'll want to wear it and no doubt she'll ruin it, but I promise, I will post photos of her costume when it's all done.

Also, I made a similar one for her first birthday, where we had her dressed as Wonder Woman. This is because we are awesome parents and had a DC themed birthday at a pizza parlor that we could drink beer at. :) #parentoftheyear
Autumn was Wonder Woman and I was Starfire. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is a neat little no sew idea. I didnt think you could make a skirt just by tying knots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tutu is just too cute for words… and i can't sew to save my soul so this looks right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete