Welcome!

Hi there! The Sonny Skye is a blog fully inspired by living life in a new generation of rainbow children!
This blog is about one momma learning how to live a more insightful and loving life!

Amazon Prime.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My name is Brittany and I'm a debbie downer.

That's right, I admit it. I'm a debbie downer, a negative nancy, a pessimist.

I usually catch myself during my "glass half empty" rants about people and their no care attitudes. I get mad because sometimes I'm pulled in a million different directions and nobody stops to be be considerate. I watch the news where this really messed up shit happens, and I just think to myself, "Autumn is never leaving the house." I start to get really paranoid and that makes me anxious. Then, I'll sift through Facebook and find that one stupid post that was posted by a family member or friend that is so ignorant and ass backwards I just want to scream obscenities at them, but of course, I don't. I lose hope for humanity instead. I'd love to say that it's easy to believe in humanity, especially since I really do believe in the power of the human spirit and that each action affects someone else, but it's complicated. Sometimes I feel dissapointed in my fellow beings. I feel so dissapointed that it turns into anger and hatred. 

But then life suprises you. In little ways, but those little things make all the difference.




Recently, I've been trying to push this "positive patty" thing that a coworker lives by. She posts positive quotes and inspiration on days that are tough and lives by her own rules that make her happy. This is inspiring to me. I appreciate the posts, becuase they are a subtle reminder that if you plant the seeds, the flowers will grow. Planting people in your life that are positive, wether it's an associate, a coworker, an acquaintance, a family member, or a friend- will grow into a garden. I've associated myself with a lot of weeds in the past, and even though it's relevant, I'm not talking about pot. I'm talking about those people who just make your life a mess. You go out to your garden to pull some out and three more grow. It's exhausting. I want my garden to be so full of flowers that the weeds have no place to grow. And gardening is hard. So it'll take some time for me.

 However, I will admit, since I've changed my mindset I've been seeing more beauty in the world and in humanity. It's random- and it's amazing.

For example; my neighbor across the way at our quadplex is a man who happens to resembles, what most would define as a "skinhead." Like I said, I am prone to judgement, and I apologize for that, but skinheads are one of my biggest fears in life because of past experiences and threats.Besides the fact that he pretty much is the defnition of a physical stereotype, his car has a giant sticker on it that reads "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL WHITE BOY." I got close enough to read the small print underneath it one day and it was a web address. I, of course, went to this web address and found that it was a site for those who believe in "white pride" and had tons of members and products for sale with similar slogans on it. At first I was angry and then I was terrified. I was terrified because of the aforementioned experiences and threats. I have encountered skinheads, I've been told I was worst than dirt because I'm a traitor to my race. I've been threatened to be raped and killed. I was told that I deserved to be hurt because my boyfriend was black. The worst part? HE WASN'T EVEN THERE. Someone had mentioned if Terrance was coming. The name. His name triggered it all. How did they even know? They assumed. They terrorized me and until this day, I'm petrified when I see anyone who even slighlty fits the description of a skinhead. So here we are, freshly moved into this apartment and a skinhead is my neighbor. Great. We avoided him at all cost. Went out the backdoor, parked far away from his car, etc. Then one day, as I was putting Autumn in the car I looked back to where Terrance was. I saw him standing there, talking to the neighbor. It was inaudible since they were too far away, but my heart stopped. My stomach started to hurt, and I was searching Terrance's face for a clue as to what they were talking about. Then about one minute (ten hours, in my head) later, Terrance got in the car and told me he had offered to repair my broken car window for free. 

-what-

I was so confused. Terrance said he was very friendly, offered to keep his music down on the weekends if it bothered Autumn, and even told him where we could get inexpensive autoparts if necessary. That made me question everything. Did he buy the car with the sticker on it? Was he a racist? What was happening? It's hard for me to trust him because of my initial fears and judgements, but is he really just trying to be a good neighbor? However, I have a new window and he's is installing it this weekend. 

I'm still confused as to who this man is, but I've got to stop focusing on the negative and I must practice appreciation and positivity. Try it for yourself! I know it sounds cheesy, but surround yourself with positive quotes, positive friends, and positive thoughts. Don't go searching for the negative. Turn the news off. Follow some enlightened bloggers. Meditate in white light. Do something for someone else. Promote good. I know I'll be trying! Even if I do feel like this is what I look like: 

30 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences:( I hope things turn out well with your neighbor after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Love your writing (and that you cursed a little-known not alone!!).

    While I call myself a realist not a pessimist, let's be honest, I'm the former. I appreciate your point about being the white light and planting the good seeds. You're totally right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you reading!
      Haha, I've noticed lately that my negativity is rubbing off on my toddler. She repeats some of the things I say like "UGGH SHES SO STUUUUPID" lol

      So I think it's time! :) Have a good night!

      Delete
  3. As a fellow pessimist, I agree, it can be so hard to see things positively. I try hard though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we all do! I like to think that in an alternative universe it may be much easier, but then someone would still come and ruin it! Lol

      Delete
  4. I love the honesty of this post. A positive outlook does make a world of difference in life. Not always easy but it definitely helps. I'm sorry to learn of threats you've received in the past. Just awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, and I really appreciate you reading!

      Delete
  5. Great post, thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this was such a great read. I think we all have a habit of sterotyping at times, whether we want to admit it or not. And I really appreciate your honesty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I try to be honest in my writing! :)

      Delete
  7. Such an honest post. I can also be very pessimistic. It is something that I try to work on daily. Sometimes we have negative attitudes about others as a way of protecting ourselves and distancing ourselves before we think someone will hurt us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost like a defense mechanism to be negative, afraid to be hopeful. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. What a great Post. I tend to be wary of people also. I love the Positive Patty idea. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! My biggest battle is dropping my guard because of my past. Have a good Thursday!

      Delete
  9. This is something I wrestle with too, especially as I've also become aware that I need to try harder not to pass on my negative attitudes to my children. I hope it carries on going well with your neighbour - sounds like it could be interesting to find out what he's really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope everything goes well with him as well.

      But yes, I have to be cautious because my daughter is a parrott. lol

      Delete
  10. There is always negativity and there are always stupid people. I try not to read their stuff or be around them. It does get you down. Stay in the light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true! I will continue to stay in the light! Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Super honest. I see the potential threats everywhere. I think that's part of being a mom. I call it being prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a part of being a momma! I am so paranoid about a lot of things, but it's because I see the dangers! lol thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. I was very surprised by the ending. I guess it's true what they say, don't judge a book by it's cover. Loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Brittany! You would not be truly living if you didn't encounter the issues and controversies mentioned in the posts. Sometimes the ones we struggle with are the ones who need love most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! The ones we struggle with are the ones who need love most! Thank you for sharing! And for reading!

      Delete
  14. An excellent read. I tend to be cynical, & need a reminder about training myself to be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I understand your judgement on that one! I would not have been happy to see that sticker either. But, like you said I have one too many times that judging people on first instict is a mistake for the most part. I sincerely hope that it is some sort of misunderstanding . However, I don't thnk I would drive around with that on my car for ONE second. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. I can truly benefit from being more positive and I think it's a great idea to surround yourself with positivity when you are having a rough time. This isn't something I've tried but it makes perfect sense. Additionally, I'm sorry about the hateful experience you had. It's a shame that we still live in a world where people are judged for who they choose to love. I do hope your neighbor is genuinely kindhearted. Thanks for sharing your story. It was a pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't blame you for being scared about your neighbor. Who knows? Maybe he will learn something from being around y'all. He may be one of these people who finds it easy to spew hateful ideas but not at actual real people. Thinking positively really can change the way you look at things on a daily basis. I know I need to cultivate more of that attitude myself.

    ReplyDelete